[TR] tr3 best improvement

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Sun Jul 20 10:14:33 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/19/2008 6:45:41 AM Central Daylight Time, DLylis at aol.com
writes:
> have read that rear sway bars on a 3A is a no no because it  makes the car
> too
> twichy.  I also read the same (or similar) for the TR6  but I threw caution
> to the wind and installed one on my 69.  I like the way  it handles.  It is
> not
> a daily driver and my opinion might change if it  were, as you definitely
> need to pay more attention.

I've run a rear bar on my TR6 for more than 10 years.  The problem with TR6's
(and TR4 IRS) that is different than TR3's and TR4's is the IRS will change
camber as the suspension moves through its range.  Back in 1998 when I was
running the autocross at VTR in Hudson, WI, I discovered that I could steer the
back end with the throttle - but in a manner that was counter intuitive.  When I
mashed the gas the back end would squat and the camber would change in the
positive direction and the rear tires would grab and the front end would plow.
Releasing the gas would cause the back end to pop up and the back end would
come around.  I was running Koni shocks at the time when dampened the
transistions and I was able to keep on top of it but later, after changing back to
levers (which were never stiff enough) it happened again in a manner that caught me
by suprise and I nearly lost it.

That was with stock springs.  I have since installed Ted's springs and (yet
another) tube shock conversion kit which, between the two, keep the suspension
transitions more controlled and feels much more well mannered.

And a four wheel alignment helps, too.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6