[TR] removing rust in block

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 17 14:38:10 MDT 2008

> I'm assuming by you saying take it all the way down, you mean take the
> crank
> and pistons out.  Is there an alternative way?

Not if you're going to have a shop "boil it out", which I assume is what
Terry is talking about.  Not just the crank & pistons, but EVERYTHING that
isn't part of the block casting must come off.  That includes jackshaft,
water pump, various plugs, rear seal housing, oil pump, oil transfer
housing, etc. etc.  The process involves dipping the bare block into a vat
of heated chemical, which may become trapped in any joints that remain (not
to mention destroying any alloys).

Personally, I don't feel that is necessary.  I've always just mechanically
cleaned and flushed as best I could and let it go at that.  The main thing
is to be sure there is no pile of sediment in the back of the block.  But if
there is, you should be able to loosen it with probes stuck down through the
coolant passages, and blow it out with compressed air or water under
pressure.  I'd still plan on having the crank & pistons out, though, to be
sure none of the expelled crud finds it's way somewhere it shouldn't be.

Randall