[TR] Gas Cap Trivia (TR250, TR6)

Chip19474 at aol.com Chip19474 at aol.com
Mon Jul 14 13:02:08 MDT 2008

List,

I uncovered an original Triumph Service Bulletin issued to me in  late
(November or December) 1969 by British Leyland, Leonia, NJ regarding  the magnet
portion of some gas caps on TR250's and 1969 TR6's becoming detached  and posing
a safety hazard.

But, what really got my interest was the second part of the bulletin which
advised owners to take their TR250 or 1969 TR6 back to the dealer to have the
fuel cap realigned.  Evidently, some of these models left the factory with
fuel caps positioned with the hinge forward (push button to the rear) and
Triumph had been advised (by whom it didn't say) that this fuel cap arrangement
could lead to the cap flying open on impact.  So the bulletin said that the
dealer would rotate the fuel caps 45 degrees from fore & aft to correct  the
problem.

My first car was a 1969 TR6 purchased in March of 1969 and my cap was
mounted 90 degrees from fore & aft when I bought the car.  The only  reason I really
bring this up is that occasionally during concours judging, the  subject of
"what's the correct alignment of the fuel cap" comes up and I've  never seen a
TR250 or 1969 TR6 with a fuel cap at 45 degrees!!  Come to  think of it, I've
only ever seen the rear-to-front or 90 degree  arrangment.

It kind of makes sense from a convenience standpoint to have the cap flip
rear to front so one can fill the tank easily from either side of the  car.  I
know the early TRs and my dad's 1966 Spitfire were this  way.  Has anyone ever
seen collision data from Standard or Brit  Leyland that supports these caps
"flying open on impact"?

Chip Krout
Delaware Valley Triumphs, Ltd.
Skippack, PA