[TR] TR3 Throttle linkage

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Jul 13 14:23:54 MDT 2008

This is so weird I'm almost reluctant to talk about it.

Lately the throttle began to feel squishy.  Idle would hang about 500 rpms higher, then slowly settle where it's supposed to be.  Pedal felt soft and there didn't seem to be the range of acceleration from suddenly standing on it like before.

Ahah!, I thought.  I have two springs under the hood to bring the throttle linkage back to rest.  One of them must have broken again resulting in the soft pedal and slow return to idle.

Well, just when you thought it was easy.  When I looked, both linkage springs were still in place and fully operational.  So I wiggled the carburetor linkage and to watch what happened.

What happened was, the flange collar on the gas pedal rod assembly that connects directly to the carburetor linkage, moved about 50% (instead of 100%) with the rotation of the rest of the gas pedal rod assemby.  The flange is connected to the main pedal rod assemby by a pin (Moss 325-345).

When I rebuilt the assembly unit three or four years ago, I had used a simple cotter key that snugly joined the flange collar to the gas pedal assembly.  The soft metal of this cotter key, however, apparently couldn't stand up to the strain of the constant stress of daily driving.  At least that's what I assume.

I replaced the cotter key with a strong steel finish nail of the snug fit variety, and have all the proper response I'm supposed to have again.  I do have to say, though, I saw it, and I still don't believe it.  Then again, I guess that's why the parts suppliers call for a pin and not the cotter key I used (and why I'm an English Major and not an Engineer!).

The first drive in to work on the Monday after a fix like this is always especially fun.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A (TS 58667)
New Hampshire