[TR] Soldered Wire Connections in Cars

Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com
Fri Jul 11 12:01:15 MDT 2008

I have previously read of this caution, regarding soldered wire
connections in cars, as Paul reported:

>  My soldering is very bad plus I've been told that wiring in  cars ought
not be
>  soldered.  Soldering does not allow minute vibrations of the connection
thus
>  yielding broken wires.

Is this urban myth, or is there truth to it?

I was a keen touring motorcyclist and added a great deal of electrical
componentry to my motorcycle via an Autocom control system to 'manage' to
in-helmet speakers with each of CB, Cellphone, Music/Radio, Radar
detector, and GPS. The protocol for joining wires among the motorcycle
groups I knew (online and in-person) was to solder and protect with
heat-shrink wrapping around the joint. My memory of riding tells me that
motorcycles are subject to more vibration than cars (a wider range and
greater intensity). I don't recall a well-soldered joint in wiring failing
on my motorcycle.

Having been 'up close and personal' with my car's voltage control box
recently, I noted there were several soldered joints in that unit. They
should vibrate more than a loosely held wire.

Brian