[TR] L means what?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jul 10 09:27:02 MDT 2008

> Are you sure the springs on a TR3 are "handed" ? They do not have separate
> part numbers and come (from Moss at least) as a pair with no indication of
> sidedness.

Yup, I'm sure, at least for the later cars (like Paul's).

At commission number TS26904 (according to the SPC), the passenger side rear
spring was changed to P/N 303306 while the driver's side stayed 301017.
http://tinyurl.com/5doooo

Visually at least, the only difference in the new passenger side spring is
the addition of a very short leaf that acts as a spacer between the main
leaf and axle, plus ISTR a longer center bolt to accommodate the increased
thickness.  But the SPC lists a different main leaf as well ... perhaps it's
a kit that includes the spacer & bolt?

The story I recall is that the spacer was added to lower the passenger side
of the car slightly; to meet some odd race requirement that the car be level
"as raced" without a passenger.  But I don't recall where I read that
offhand, and I might be mistaken about that part.

Of course the car will handle just fine without the spacer; so I don't blame
Moss (et al) for not supplying it.  It's amazing to me that one can even buy
rear springs for a 50 year old car, even without a spacer that most people
don't know exists (and is easy enough to fabricate).

But, we were talking about how the factory assembled the cars, and they put
in the spacer.

BTW, the Moss catalog also doesn't mention the P/N 208636 and 208637 springs
fitted to early TR4.  Anyone know the difference?  The supersessions shown
by TRF and Revington do not appear to have been factory-blessed; at least
they don't appear in my list apparently published some time after 1966.

Randall