[TR] anti-rusting rubber dip?, driveway cleaner?

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Wed Jul 9 17:57:23 MDT 2008

My soldering is very bad plus I've been told that wiring in  cars ought not be
soldered.  Soldering does not allow minute vibrations of the connection thus
yielding broken wires.  However, on a particular connection on the back of my
console, I resorted to soldering 'part' of the wiring on a connection.
    First, I used a tiny amount of (driveway cleaning grade) muriatic acid
poured over galvanized sheet metal (for the zinc).  This reaction gives off a
dangerously fuming boil, but it will clean metals allowing the soldering to
work.  Most likely, this is not a preferred method, however, it worked!  The
problem now is that the tiny steel/brass terminal looks like it will rust.
Although this may not happen to the brass, I was wondering if coating a
connection with 'rubberized dip' will halt the rusting?
    I later made up another quart-size batch of muriatic acid/galvanized metal
solution.  When it  began the rolling boil-like-reaction, I threw it on a
portion of the driveway which was completly rust and oil stained.  I was
amazed at the brand new appearance of this section of the driveway and plan to
do it on a larger scale soon.  It might work slightly better if one threw it
on wet pavement, but I haven't tried that yet!

Thanks, Paul

--
It has removed 764 spam emails to date.