[TR] L means what?

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Wed Jul 9 15:24:29 MDT 2008

This whole controversy can usually be attributed to the often misused term,
"Chassis Number".  This is often misused to point to what is in reality the
"Commission number".  For it is the commission number that contains the L.
There is also a number stamped onto the chassis (or frame) but that is only
a part of the number of assemblies that make up the complete car.  Only the
Commission Number defines the entire finished vehicle and therefore the "L"
suffix applies.

I may be wrong, but I sincerely doubt you will ever find an "L" suffix on a
frame serial number.

Joe C.