[TR] TR3 Name the Parts Take Two

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Jul 5 18:36:54 MDT 2008

> Does anybody know what size  rubber fuel line hose will allow
> a  compression fit on TR'S.

I just measured a fitting on both a HS6 and an H6 SU; both are slightly
larger than 1/4" (.255").  So at least in theory, a 1/4" id tube should grip
it.

I'm dubious though ... the original lines were natural rubber, I believe,
which is rather more sticky, and swells slightly when exposed to gasoline.
However, it will not stand up to today's fuels (particularly the ethanol now
mandated for the entire US); so modern fuel lines are made of nitrile rubber
(eg, Buna-N) which is harder, less sticky, and does not swell.

>  If so where can it be had?

Not tried it myself, but P/N 5394K16 from
http://www.mcmaster.com/
looks like it might work, and be at least somewhat similar to the original
hose.

> Although they  are allowed, being a purist I just hate all
> these goofy looking clamps  everywhere.

Just a thought, one or two turns of SS safety wire, which you can then twist
and turn so the twisted section is not visible, might be more esthetically
pleasing.

> Which side should the spacers for the springs of the rear
> suspension  be on?
> I am going to say drivers side.

I respectfully disagree.  The spacer is to lower the passenger side, so the
car sits more nearly level with only a driver.  Since the spring runs under
the axle, the spacer lowers the side it's on.  Hence it goes on the
passenger side.

Randall