[TR] (no subject)

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Jul 4 17:26:47 MDT 2008

Ahh.  All is well in New Hampshire

To defeat a corrupt hydraulic brake switch, I went to Autozone around noon, picked
up a mechanical brake switch.  Came home ready to do battle and fabricate some
sort of bracket to hold it in the pedal box.  ...But, huh--go figure.  Something went
easy.  All I had to do was drill a bigger hole in the adjustment access hole in the box,
insert the switch, find the right adjustment, and Voila! Ran wires from the harness
at the old hydraulic brake switch to the new mechanical one, and the brakes work
like they're supposed to.  Since I wired all four backlights (parking lights and brake
lights) for brake lights, I now re-have a string of four bright brake lights to alert the
morons who dare to tailgate a guy who, driving with the top down, spits straight into
the air as a preliminary warning.

But Wait, There's More!  This is the Ginsu Knife of Independence Days!

I'd been having trouble with idle dropping slowly to finally stall mode.  I'd played
with the vacuum advance and with the idle speed screw, but, alas, no avail.

Able to spend some time today replacing small rubber sections of fuel lines,
I noticed the forward float bowl was leaking at the bottomrubber seals I'd
replaced several weeks ago.   Broke it down and reinstalled with a washer,
that had been missing originally, and Voila!  No more leak!  Idle maintains
steady at about 700.  Could be a few hundred higher, but  no need as long as
it stays steady.

But Wait, There's More!

Car buttoned up, the tall bottle of Coors fresh from the freezer, the beer
just barely slushy when I popped the top, I sat on the back steps in the cool
of the evening to admire my work.  No rain.  No bugs.  And the Red Sox
just beat the Yankees for the second night in a row despite a squishy Cocoa
Crisp trapped flyball call from an umpire (but no complaints...no instant replay
in baseball and that's as it should be).

Does life get any better?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire