[TR] TR6 Positive to Starter Cable

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Wed Jul 2 14:44:09 MDT 2008

In a message dated 7/2/2008 12:55:10 PM Central Daylight Time,
wsb1960tr3a at att.net writes:
>      I have a 1974 TR6 that I am trying to start after
> it has sat for 20 years in a garage. I have been
> troubleshooting the electrical to figure out why the
> starter won't spin when you turn the key. I finally
> got to the point where I found if I jumper out the
> positive cable from the battery to the starter with a
> jumper cable then the starter spins with the key
> (telling me that the solenoid, relay and ignition
> switch all work).

The 74 model year had a seatbelt interlock.  All cars of that year had them.
The concepts was so well received by the public that the law was changed the
next year.  If the seat belt is not buckled but you are sitting in the seat,
the starter will not engage.  The seatbelt module is mounted somewhere in the
passenger footwell.  If you find it you can splice the white/red and
white/orange wires together and bypass it.  Which is just how the 75 models were wired.

> The positive cable has some sort of connectors in the middle of it with
> brown wires that
> apparently run to the #2 terminal on the ignition
> switch, to the alternator and to the starter relay.
> The positive cable lights a test light at the starter
> solenoid so it is getting some connectivity there.
>      Can some TR6 electrician explain the connector in
> the middle of the positive cable? Can a just make a
> terminal block off of the positive terminal of the
> battery and replace the funky factory cable with a
> FLAPS one?

My guess is that putting the connectors several inches away from the battery
evades the corrosive effects of the battery acid mist that was typical back in
the 70's.  Modern batteries are less prone to this (and you can get sealed
batteries like the Optima that have virtually none) so making the connection at
the battery will work.  You may have to splice in extra length, however.

Dave