[TR] It's Alive!!! (TR3)...but spin on oil filter adapter leaks

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jul 1 22:32:59 MDT 2008

> I had to share that my 57 TR3 started for the first time
> since 1969 today!!
> After fixing a few fuel leaks the only problem is that it
> leaks a LOT of oil between the spin-on oil filter adapter and
> the oil pump.  We tried removing it and putting it back on to
> no avail.  Any ideas?

First thing is to be certain there is only one gasket in the slot in the
original filter head.  It's very common for people to forget to remove the
old gasket and stick a second one in; the combination is sure to leak.
Remove the existing gasket and clean the groove until you can clearly see
white metal at the bottom of it.

There have also been some adapters on the market that are incorrectly
machined.  If you have one, the only cure is to modify it, or return it and
get another one.

> Also the (original) coil gets very hot.

They do get somewhat hot; but I suspect some of them have internal shorts
that make them get hotter than normal (and reduce the output).  Only cure is
a new coil.

Randall