[TR] Tow Bar Blues

Dave1massey at cs.com Dave1massey at cs.com
Thu Jan 31 20:25:13 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/31/2008 8:10:01 PM Central Standard Time,
triumph at 2simpleusa.com writes:
> I think this somewhat akin to the brake fluid, gearbox oil and other such
> unresolved matters of how the universe works.  A standard manual trans. does
>
> not have an oil pump (unlike an auto trans that does).  The oil is
> distributed by the rotation of the various shafts.
>
> I think it is something of an urban legend that the gearbox will suffer from
>
> towing ... however, everything in moderation.  I have towed manual trans
> cars hundreds of miles when I was younger (and all old British cars since I
> was in the UK at the time) without any ill effect.  However, if I was going
> to tow any great distance here in the US, I would probably remove the prop
> shaft given how easy it is to get to.

No urban legend.  The problem is that with the engine off all the parts down
in the oil are not turning so there is no oil distribution.  Then the main
shaft turns inside the now stationary gears since the layshaft is stationary and
the only lubrication is the residual oil in the bronze bushings.  If the car
had been run recently you may get by with a 100 mile tow but why risk it?

Dave

BTW I had a TR6 transmission fail some years after a flat tow of about 60
miles.