[TR] Thrust washers

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Jan 29 09:35:08 MST 2008

> I will hazard a guess here. Perhaps the original thrust
> washers were babbited on one side.

Good guess !  That's exactly right, the original washers were steel on one
side and a soft "white metal" alloy (mostly lead and tin) on the other.  The
soft alloy face forms the actual bearing surface and thus is the side that
goes against the crank.

Which leaves only the question of why someone is supplying what amounts to a
modification, without instructions as to why or how to properly install it.
Given that the original TRactor motor thrust bearing design was remarkably
trouble-free and I believe using "yellow metal" will cause more rapid wear
of the crank thrust surfaces; I might be tempted to seek out correct
replacements.

Randall