[TR] Thrust washers

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 05:22:28 MST 2008

If I may raise an old subject once again.  I just want to check with  the
list.
I am helping a friend rebuild his 3A motor and as most often happens when
three or four guys work together questions come up that might not be raised when
 working alone. This one has to do with thrust washers.
The factory manual says to put them in with the 'white metal side against
the crank shaft".  The thrust wshers that were received from the supplier  are
steel on one side and brass/bronze (?) on the other.  The yellow metal  side
has oil grooves in it.  As the TWs were being installed with the  steel side
against the crank (because it is white metal)  I said NO.   First the steel side
has slightly raised numbers stamped into it, and the yellow  metal side has
the oil grooves which should go against the rotating  member.  Turn them around.
 This is the way I have installed  these things.  All agreed that my logic
was correct, "but it says. .  ."  I never questioned the yellow metal side with
the oil grooves against  the crank as correct until this.
What say others?

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO