[TR] Wrong TR3 starter/flywheel combinations?

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Sun Jan 27 17:06:13 MST 2008

I have both read and heard that the pre TS50000 cars had a shrunk on
flywheel that used a shrouded starter and the post TS50000 cars had a
bolt on ring gear and used an open ended starter that has the bendix
spring on the end of the shaft.

I was just preparing to rebuild a starter for my project car and found
the both of the cars that I have had bolt on ring gears and shrouded
starters. Neither car ran when I got them so I don't know if either of
the starters worked.

Am I misunderstanding something or do I indeed have an incorrect
starter/flywheel combination on both cars?

If they are wrong, it looks like I am in the market for either a
flywheel or starter. One of the two starters looks to be either fairly
new or freshly rebuilt. Anyone interested in a swap?

Mike