[TR] Authentic choke cable, TR4

John Macartney standardtriumph at btinternet.com
Thu Jan 24 04:59:19 MST 2008

Brian Jones wrote:
> The choke cable on my TR4 does not lock in position. Like many, I use
> a crocodile clip to hold it at a setting while the car warms up. The
> cable is also hard to pull, such is its condition.

Brian, if you are unsuccessful in locating the correct cable type, revert to the approved
Standard-Triumph service tool. Instead of a croc clip, use a wooden clothes peg (clothes pin) with a
short piece of string looped through the central spring to hang from the choke knob. No
self-respecting Triumph repairman was ever without this essential piece of kit in their toolbox.
AFAIK, Darrell Floyd has yet to include this important 'original' feature in the VTR Judging
criteria for Concours cars - which is a great shame.

I have one in my car - premanently! The cold start cable is perfectly satisfactory and works well,
but the interior as a whole looked a little incomplete without this essential feature.

Jonmac