[TR] Universal Joints: What is the Reason for Replacing them?

BearTranserv at aol.com BearTranserv at aol.com
Tue Jan 22 21:26:43 MST 2008

In a message dated 1/22/2008 6:45:20 P.M. Mountain Standard Time,
wdaehler at wi.rr.com writes:

And  every once in a while there was
a thump, and a bump against my leg.   My conjecture was that it was worn
universal joints

Not likely.  Usually starts with a vibration and/or a growling sound,  and
works it's way up to an outright constant thumping.  Never had one just  thump
occasionally.  They are usually just good or bad and not much in  between.

I replaced all mine on the B because it had been sitting 20 years, and I
expect I'll replace them on the TR4 for much the same reason.  Easier to do
while the driveline is out than on the side of the road later.

Robert B.  Houston
Texan in New Mexico

63 TR4

As he stared at her ample  bosom, he daydreamed of the dual Stromberg
carburetors in his vintage  Triumph, highly functional yet pleasingly formed,
perched prominently on top of  the intake manifold, aching for experienced
hands, the small knurled caps of the  oil dampeners begging to be inspected and
adjusted as described in chapter seven  of the shop manual.