[TR] TR6 Thrust Washer question

Tony Gordon triumph at 2simpleusa.com
Sun Jan 20 20:11:58 MST 2008

The recent discussion on TR6 thrust washers was very timely ... my parts car
block is on its way be machined tomorrow (bored, decked, cleaned, cam
bearings, etc.).  I'm am toying with the idea of having the 4th main bearing
cap machined to allow for a full 360 deg thrust washer setup.  I have read
of others doing so, and have looked through my all notes and books, I cannot
find anything that gives any advice on how this is done ... I'm guessing
that the 4th main bearing cap  needs to be machined to the same depth and
outer dia as the thrust washer location on the block ...

I did find MJBs advice that the lower thrust washer be pinned in place with
a roll pin, and his follow-up advice that said that pinning was a bad idea
... I have a very vague recollection from my early 4 pot Ford engines that
the thrust washers had cutout tabs to stop them rotating (I think...).  If a
360 deg thrust washer is installed by machining the main bearing cap, is
there a need to have a means to stop them rotating .... I'm guessing yes ...
if yes, any suggestions on how this might be done?

I did look at Bob Danielson's link to the solid thrust washer solution ...
interesting, but I'm guessing, I still need to machine the cap!