[TR] [6pack] U-Joint Removal

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Sun Jan 20 06:28:16 MST 2008

Bob,
I have not looked at the links offered, but my technique is primitive, but
very effective.  (check the sizes as I am working from  memory) You will need a
1 1/16 socket, a 3/4 socket, a cold chisel of  medium to large proportions,
and a 1/8 drift, and a BFH.
1 1/16 goes on the floor (or sturdy bench), 3/4 pounds the caps though  until
spider hits the other side.  Flip it over and put the cold chisel  against
the spider and drive it back the other way.  Drive the drift  through the
bearings on one side until you hit the back side of the cap, and hit  until it pops
out.  Repeat.
Nothing will be usable other than the remaining yolk, shaft, etc. but  then
again, its worn.
I reinstall the new one with the reverse of this technique with a  lighter
hand and an SFH rather than a BFH and I can do the whole thing in about  ten
minutes.
I gotta tell you.  I tried the tap the yolk thing and figured I was  not
going to live long enough to get it out that way.  Maybe my technique  needs a
little more finesse.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO