[TR] TR3 Steering Box Rebuild

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Sun Jan 20 06:14:53 MST 2008

Mike,
I have just gone through this exercise and can offer a neophytes  opinion.
Randall is by far the greater authority as he helped me out with  issues
through the process.
1.  If you have original usable parts, use them.  This is what I  found with
reproduction parts.  The worm is supposed to present  slight resistance in
steering at straight ahead and loosen as you go right  and left.  The repro worm
is slightly cone shaped.  That is not  correct although I was able to get it
to perform well through  very detailed box adustment.
2.  The peg is supposed to be a press fit in the rocker shaft.   (both repro
parts) I initially put it in and it fell out.  I have resolved  that as well.
3.  When I had the old worm removed from the shaft it came off with no
damage, so had it not been chipped, it would have been reusable should I  have been
facing a situation as you describe.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO