[TR] Super/Turbo charging a TR 4 pot? (was Classic Motorsports Article on Supercharged TR6)

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 15:57:43 MST 2008

> What about the possibility of using a turbocharger & intercooler
> from say a Mazda 626GT or Ford Probe. Both used a a 2.2L 4 Mazda
> sidewinder engine with turbo and intercooler . The capacity seems
> about right. Would the TR engine take the added stresses?

I believe so, as long as you keep the rpm down.  Biggest problem IMO will be
to keep it from detonating/knocking.

Both the increased pressure and the increased intake temperature tend to
cause knock, and we pretty much already use all the octane available with
pump gas (unlike the stock 'emissions' TR6 which has substantially lower
compression).  The intercooler would help (by lowering temperature), but
it's still going to be hotter than naturally aspirated.

Turbos also suffer from throttle lag; basically the time it takes the turbo
to spin up once you open the throttle and the engine starts making more
exhaust gas.  There are ways to alleviate it, but not eliminate it entirely.
I was interested in turbocharging my TR3A until my wife bought a
turbocharged minivan.  Had good power once it got going but significant lag
problems, IMO.  Very un-sportscar like ... I used to imagine Scotty saying
Aye Aye Kyeptain before things would start happening.

IMO a supercharger is the only way to go on a TR, in spite of poorer overall
efficiency.

Randall