[TR] TR3A low mounted 3rd brake light??

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Jan 18 00:22:29 MST 2008

> Based on the Moss diagram it looks like a clean swap that could
> quickly be changed for my occasional trip to the local car show.
> Does anyone know of a reason it could not be swapped back & forth?

Got home and had a chance to check cars & parts ...

To install the early center brake light from a TR2-3 on a later TR3/A/B,
you'll have to add a largish hole centered behind the lamp.  I didn't
measure, but it's at least 3/4", maybe a bit larger.  The early lamp takes a
full-size 1157-equivalent bulb, and the holder for the base protrudes into
the trunk space.

But once you've added the hole, I believe it would be possible to switch
back and forth, as the later lamp will cover the early hole (and the early
lamp will also cover the smaller off-center hole used for wires with the
later lamp).  The stud spacing & diameter are the same.

Randall