[TR] TR3A low mounted 3rd brake light??

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Jan 17 17:09:28 MST 2008

> But in  our LBCs there is really no place high enough to be near t eye
level

Something I've thought about but never got around to trying ... build a line
of high intensity red LEDs (with clear housings) into a quarter-round bar of
Lucite that would fit just under the lip of the windshield on a TR3/A.

It would have to be directional enough to stay out of the driver's eyes
(which might be impossible), but would be high enough I think and reasonably
unobtrusive when it wasn't lit.  Likely you could also find a way to make it
removable for shows (tho I never worried about showing the car).

Obviously it also wouldn't be effective with the top up, but that's a
separate problem <g>

Another potential solution might be to mount a pair of whips (like CB
antennas) to the rear bumperettes, and put super-bright LEDs on the ends.  I
don't know if that would get the message through or not, but if you could
make the LEDs bright enough, it might persuade them to stop even when they
can't see a car.  Strobing them would help both with brightness and visual
impact, I think, since no doubt the whips will be whipping if you've just
jammed on the brakes.

The folks that go off-roading on the dunes around here use flags on whips to
make themselves visible (which is where I got the idea).

Randall