[TR] Clutch Replacement

CarlSereda at aol.com CarlSereda at aol.com
Tue Jan 15 20:09:15 MST 2008

Hi John,
I found 2 knocked-out holes in my TR4 tranny case near flywheel area when I
rebuilt car first time in 1974. These 2 holes were about 25 and 50 cent sized.
I formed 2 copper sheet covers and attached over cardboard gaskets with self
tapping screws.. Drove aggressively as my 'daily driver' for 8 years with no
problems.
I've heard sometimes the starter pinion gear falls off and getted trampled
against aluminum housing and breaks out a hole. Or sometimes people punch a hol
or two for clutch access to lever free a stuck friction plate from their
frozen flywheel and/or pressure plate.
You might be able to chamfer edges (to reduce cracks starting), patch, and
forget.
In 1974 I didn't chamfer holes, plus I drilled 3-4 screw-holes per patch, and
see no signs of weakness.
Regards,
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

 removal of the tranny cover, amazed was I to
discover a quarter sized hole on the top of the casing about two inches aft
of the bolt flange!  Someone applied a BFH for some unknown purpose,
perhaps.