[TR] TR6 tranny alignment - use of dowels

Lanoway, Brian Brian_Lanoway at standardaero.com
Tue Jan 15 12:27:15 MST 2008

>Don't know if the change was because the dowels tended to fall out; or
>whether it was to strengthen the joint ... but if you're going to use
>dowels, I'd be sure to coat them with Loctite on one end or the other.

Our Manitoba TR club historian, who seems to have encyclopedic knowledge
of these things, claims that early TR6's used the dowels, but after a
number of engine/transmission separations due to weak clamping force,
Triumph apparently went to the shoulder bolts instead.  Sounds like that
extra clamping force is very necessary.

Brian Lanoway
1973 TR6
Winnipeg