[TR] [Spits] Frozen Tach

Joe Curry spitlist at cox.net
Sat Jan 12 13:10:08 MST 2008

Having just finished overhauling my son's mechanical tach (Mk2 Spit), I can
say that it is probably to do with the piece that goes into the tach to
power the magnet that couples to the movement.

It is easy to fix but requires some precision disassembly and reassembly.

You have to remove the thing from the case (Remove the face and take out the
2 screws on the back.

Carefully pry off the needle and remove the two small screws that secure the
face plate.

There are 4 screws that connect the rear drive mechanism to the movement.
Be careful with the movement when removing it so that the parts are intact.

Once you get the two parts separated, there are two screws that will allow
you to remove the rear housing and pull out the shaft for cleaning.

Once you clean the shaft and housing to allow the shaft to spin freely,
reverse the process to get it back together again.

Hopefully, you have not damaged the nylon drive gear in the dizzy.  Those
are no longer being produced as far as I can tell.

Joe