[TR] TR3A Alternator conversion bracket pipe

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Fri Jan 11 17:55:41 MST 2008

Dang it, Randall!  Work with me!  I figgered if I made it seem complicated I'd begin to earn my engineer credentials!  Rats.  I am only left to assume that logic has something to do with that engineering business.  Sadly disappointed and really must protest....

...But alack, I guess I must confess that what I was trying to do was to eradicate any opportunity for the alternator's bracket to wiggle.  What you say makes sense:  welding might be overkill (or underkill, the way I weld).  But...would the ID of ordinary half inch pipe have a snug fit for the long bolt to eliminate any potential for wobble?  Is a snug fit actually necessary at all?

Thank you everyone who responded.  I hate to confess, but central/northern New Hampshire is...uhm...unsophisticated in terms of hardware stores.  (I had two television stations until the advent of satellite, and one of them didn't come in.)  Mostly just Home Depot and Lowes.  (But we do have really great state liquor stores!)  I'll try to find a metal shop or give E-Bay a once-over.

Oh, just in case I'd convinced you I really WAS becoming an engineer, let me dispose of that little delusion with this:  several people responded mentioning a "pipe nipple."  What the heck IS that?  How does it differ from a pipe?

Thanks again,
Terry ('59 TR3A TS 58667)