[TR] Carefully Cleaning a TR3 Engine Block

bill beecher bill_beecher at flash.net
Fri Jan 11 14:30:38 MST 2008

Hit a snag at the machine shop today, they are afraid to clean the block for
fear of removing the orange "TR3" that was hand painted on the block at the
factory.   Their normal process calls for baking the block then putting it
into a tumbler where it is blasted with steel shot.

I understand from he VTR Judging guide the value to retaining this orange
notation on the original engine for my car, mine is about 75% completely
visible, but not sure what the safest way to thoroughly clean the block,
inside and out, to prepare it for a complete rebuild.  So far, the strongest
thing I have used is Gunk and a pressure washer at the local car wash.  Or,
am I being too anal and no-one really cares?

Thanks,

Bill B
'58 TR-3A TS/30766 L
It's in a 'zillion' pieces... but I think about it every day!

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
10:19 AM