[TR] What dizzy parts actually get converted?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 2 19:16:25 MST 2008

> Perhaps the cheapest route is to go ahead buy and install a
> electronic
> ignition instead of replacing the points and red wire (15$) .

Perhaps, but don't forget that the same mistake would have destroyed the
more expensive electronic module as well.

>  I am
> wondering: how much of the exisiting distributor guts ares
> reused after the
> conversion to the electronic ignition?

Depends on which conversion you get.  I don't believe any of them use the
original hot wire to the points (or the points themselves obviously), but
the Pertronix relies on the ground wire from the point plate to the dizzy
body; which may have also been damaged in your little mishap.  However, I
don't believe the Crane system relies on the ground wire.

Something else to consider; if there is any chance you will want to convert
to negative ground in the future (like for a CB radio, CD player,
alternator, etc.), and you decide on the Pertronix conversion; now is the
time to switch the ground polarity.  You need to buy a different Pertronix
depending on ground polarity.  (However, the current Crane modules will work
either way.)

Randall