[TR] most cost-effective car to move a TR engine??

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Jan 2 11:19:02 MST 2008

> Outside using a small pick-up truck or car trailer setup, has anyone
> successfully used a car, small station wagon, or other
> vehicle to move a TR
> engine, TR4 in this case.

I now drive a large station wagon, which makes it trivial, but I've done it
in the past with a compact hatchback.

> Neither my Corolla or wife's Camry are good candidate's for
> moving a TR engine.

Actually should be doable, most sedans can handle 300 lbs in the trunk if
it's well distributed and you don't have any weight in the back seat.  I'd
suggest a "floor" of 3/4" plywood or "1 by" pine to cover most of the trunk
floor (and protect the carpet).  You could also throw a sheet of plastic
drop cloth under there if there's a chance the motor might try to mark it's
spot.  Then build a cradle for the motor to support it on the oil pan
flange.  I used a section of 2x6 on each side, with 1x6 between the pan &
firewall extending some distance to the side (for extra stability).  Then a
short section of 2x6 under the front flange.  (Hmm, or maybe it was 8" wide,
I don't recall for sure.  Measure before you go buy anything, I just used
scraps from the wood pile.)

If there's a lot of room for it to slide around, you might want to add some
suitable braces.  But I just pushed it all the way forward (so it couldn't
build up any momentum if I had to stop suddenly) and drove a little
conservatively : no problems.

Randall