[TR] TR3 front apron

Roger Wilson Roger at rw-architect.com
Fri Feb 29 10:27:17 MST 2008

Well, it all started with the radiator cap. I noticed it seemed a little
loose, so I ordered a new one. I decided it was time to switch to a
skirted thermostat, so I got one of those too. Seems too easy - right?

Now with the new cap, the system is getting pressurized really well and
I have a new leaking seam in the radiator below the extended filler
neck. The radiator is ancient and I was not completely surprised by
this. Even though I never have any overheating problems, probably
because of the mild weather in northern California, I decided to go with
the Wizard aluminum radiator. The hoses look a little ratty, so I have
ordered new hoses and clamps. So, replacing a $6 cap has once again
turned into a major project.

I have never pulled the front apron on a TR3 (actual a '60 TR3A).
Removal and installation seems pretty straightforward in the service
manual, although it would have helped if they had included a few
pictures or diagrams.

Does anyone have any helpful tips on removing the front apron, so I
don't screw this one up?

Roger Wilson
'60 TR3
'69 Morris Minor Traveller