[TR] Brake Assembly Questions

zoboherald at aol.com zoboherald at aol.com
Mon Feb 25 07:54:31 MST 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Randall <tr3driver at ca.rr.com>

> I've never seen any
> particular benefit to lubing the shoe ends...or even where
> the shoes touch the backplate.

As someone else mentioned, I've seen some backplates that were
significantly
worn where the shoes rest on them.

I also once had the pleasure of owning a TR3A with the adjustable shoe
posts
(10" Girling) that made an odd but rather loud 'clunk' every time I
took off
 from a stop sign.  Took me a long time to realize that the posts were
worn
until the pads were no longer square with the drums ... the clunk was
the
shoes falling back onto the posts as the brakes released.  Specifically
it
took until the shoes wore out on one edge first ...

==AM==
I concede...but then, 98% of my experience has been with the
Herald-based cars. Perhaps this is more of a problem on the larger
Girling brakes found on TRs?

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>