[TR] decking

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Fri Feb 22 08:51:47 MST 2008

"Decking" is milling flat the top of the engine.  The operation is actually milling, but "milling" to car guys implies work on the cylinder head, so they needed another name for the same operation on the block.

Automotive terms differ from technical machining terms sometimes.  Like "turning" brakes.  Technically, one "faces" brake disks and "bores" brake drums.  "Turning" is done on the outside of an object.  This different jargon is not a problem.  Everybody in the automotive trade knows what "turning" brakes means.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,

From: "j randolph sandner" <drsandner at embarqmail.com>