[TR] Rear Leaf spring dimensions for an early TR4

Jim and Andreas Vassiliadis diggle at clear.net.nz
Wed Feb 20 15:10:25 MST 2008

I have a 1962 TR4, pre the date when they brought out a deaper dish leaf
system with spacers.
I could write a comprehensive article on how not to get your old springs
reset.
I had them reset 1 year ago. There is too much set in both, ie they were
overly tightened and now the axle sits hard up on the chassis, which is why my
car skips around bends.
The spring fixers in Wellington New Zealand are a bit basic and giving the
spring rates means nothing to them, I have to be able to give them an unladen
dimension to work to.
The Bently manual gives Static laden dimensions only.
I can't use spacers as they would be non standard requiring me to get an
expensive engineers compliance cert.
Does anyone have the unladen dimensions?

Jim and the 1962 TR4