[TR] TR4 engine rebuild/rear seal

Lee&John Howard leejohn7 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 14:12:42 MST 2008

Thanks to all for referring me to Greg Solo in Santa Cruz.
For your general information, he is regrinding the seal to be within 4-6
thousands of the crank, whereas the original is 12/1000 larger than the
crank. He also says that the main problem behind our leaky engines is that
there is inadequate venting of the engine through, in my case, the small
vent in the valve cover that recirculates to the carbs. He says I should
install the draft tube
that existed in earlier engines. Fortunately, my spare engine has one of
these. Finally, he advises that it should not be necessary to drill
additional drain passages in the rear main cap since the pressure has been
relieved with the draft tube.
It occurs to me that venting fumes to the atmosphere is contrary to the
spirit if not the letter of the emmissions rules for these old cars. I
suppose its no worse than taking out the charcoal cannister in the TR6 to
improve performance.
Anyway, Greg says that his reground seal, properly installed, and assuming
good rings and bearings, should reduce the puddle to a drop after a long
day. Now that would be something!
John Howard