[TR] time to convert to neg. ground

dorpaul dorpaul at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 18 22:08:36 MST 2008

List,
Although I have stressed my newly rebuilt engine, mostly by running it too hot
and too fast, and letting water get in the crankcase (these problems have now
been fixed), I am now turning my attention back to the rebuilding.  One issue
is the wiring:  IT STILL IS POSITIVE GROUND!  My goal, however, is to convert
to negative ground.  I will be installing a Pertronix electronic ignition
(intended for neg. grnd. vehicles) and a alternator (to replace the
generator).
Thusfar, I have not hooked up the wiring harness (however the wires have
already been run).  For past running of the car I had it temporairily hooked
up thusly: the negative ran to the the proper side of the coil and also would
turn the starter motor, and the positive battery lead was grounded.  No
battery charging occured.
    Now that I know that the engine works wouldn't now be the right time to
convert to neg. ground?????????????  Thusfar, I have ignored this subject, now
I would like any suggestions on how to do this.

Thanks,
Paul Dorsey
'60 TR3