[TR] Wheel truing for steel wheels.

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Feb 5 12:39:11 MST 2008

Alex Manzo wrote :

> Pull the wheel and
> run a straight
> edge along side the studs. If you get a rocking action you
> have a problem
> with the hubs.

I agree, but note that it's possible for the hubs to pass this test and
still have excess runout.  You're just checking that the face is flat, not
that it's perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

Tom White  wrote :
> > To my surprise recently I discovered
> > they
> > are all running close to 0.050' run out.  I think this is
> > what is causing the
> > shimmy in my front end.

Seems unlikely to me.  Note that the factory tolerance for the TR3 was .094"
(3/32") so your wheels are well within spec.

Randall