[TR] Tow Bar Blues

pethier at comcast.net pethier at comcast.net
Fri Feb 1 10:55:42 MST 2008

> My understanding is that this is something you do not want to do unless you
> disconnect the prop shaft.  The reasoning is that the oil is circulated
> through the tranny by the rotation of the input shaft and if you tow in neutral
> the input shaft is stationary while the tranny is turning.  I have also  been
> told that this is a lot of hooey, but I also know of a bugeye in which the
> tranny failed as the result of doing so.

This varies by car, transmission designs being different.  I fried the transmission output bearing on a Cortina GT this way.  Saturn has released a bulletin that flat-towing all their Manual cars and their early Automatic cars is OK.  Their later Automatic cars require a little electrical (I am not making this up) trickery.

You need someone that knows more about Triumph transmission design to explain which of these situations exists for your car.

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,