[TR] rear crank seal on a TR4A engine - from Cosmo Kramer

Wiard Pless wmpless at iprimus.ca
Fri Dec 26 15:10:31 MST 2008

Happy Holidays List!
I'm sending this E-mail on behalf of Cosmo Kramer, being that he is
still _*not* on line_ at his home & dropped off the list for some time.
He is able to do some 'back reading' of the TRIUMPH Digest which I send
to him about every 3 months. So you are still in his heart & mind with
your E-mailings. THEREFORE: PLEASE send your replies to me -
wmpless at iprimus.ca.

Cosmo's questions are:
1- What is the best way to set the Rear Engine Seal on his TR4A? When I
rebuilt the engine, I followed the Factory Manual to the letter. I have
the Mandrel made to the factory specifications & then proceed to follow
the operation to setting the REAR MAIN SEAL. After a while, I noticed
that it was leaking. Then I read on the TRIUMPH Digest List that the
factory specifications where WRONG!

2- What IS the *CORRECT* dimension that the Mandrel should be for the
_Wet Sleeve Engine_?

3- I was planning on leaving the Crankshaft in the engine (engine is out
of the Garage Queen NOW  - my TR4A), because I really don't want to have
to remove the Front Engine Plate, then remove the Crankshaft. Loosening
the outside bolts & moving that (original) seal  in against the
Crankshaft. Followed by tighten the outside bolts & calling it done.
What is the list's input on this? Please be specific on this reply.

4- If I have to remove the crankshaft, is it a good idea to repack the
felt into the engine DRY, as one of my Healy friend has mentioned?

5- Any 'secrets' you may have on how to stop this Rear Main Seal from
leaking, would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I really miss not being on the list, but my E-mail box would be packed
if I was, being that I have to go to the Library to read my mail. TIA,
-Cosmo Kramer