[TR] What's the next gearbox move????

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Fri Dec 19 17:14:36 MST 2008

> Problem is, the gear at the back (1st?)
> contacts the case long before the bearing is free.

Jim, I have no idea if this would work on a GT6 box, but it worked for me in
a similar situation.  I believe there is a circlip on the outside surface of
the rear bearing.  Try putting some sort of metal spacer between the circlip
and case (I used some old lathe bits but some suitable nuts would probably
work) and tapping the mainshaft back into the box.  When the circlip hits
the spacers, you should be able to tap the shaft through the bearing without
too much fuss.

Then when the shaft is as far forward as it will go, tap it backwards again,
where it will hopefully carry the bearing with it (moving the bearing
through the case).  If necessary you can repeat the operation with larger
spacers, but it only took one try for me.

If you are working on an OD box, be sure to put a socket or something over
the tail of the shaft when you tap on it.  You don't want to take a chance
on mushrooming the end of the shaft where it rides in the bushing in the OD.

Randall