[TR] What's the next gearbox move????

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Fri Dec 19 16:59:29 MST 2008

HELP!  Bill Gingerich has kindly offered to fax me some good
instructions, but I thought I'd ask the Font Of Automotive Wisdom on
this anyway.

I'm still stuck trying to disassemble my GT6 gearobx.  Got the
layshaft out, but the cluster gear is still loose in the bottom of
the case.  Got the input shaft out easily.  The next instruction says
to drive the mainshaft backwards to push the rear bearing out, which
will let the mainshaft tilt upward enough so that the gears will
start coming off.  Did that.  Problem is, the gear at the back (1st?)
contacts the case long before the bearing is free.  I removed the
circlip which anchors the output shaft to the rear of the bearing,
and managed to move the bearing a big further out (rearward) by
moving it on the shaft as well as the case.  Moving this bearing is
tedious and requires prying it on one side then the other, moving it
mils at a time.  It still has 1/4 in to go.  But I see no other way
to get the gears off the mainshaft.

I just finished off a bottle of Ipswich Stout, but it didn't help.
Now what?  There must be a way.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com