[TR] ...and other LBC wintertime stories

Brian Lanoway blanoway at shaw.ca
Wed Dec 10 08:54:03 MST 2008

I used to drive all my LBCs in our Winnipeg (aka Winterpeg) winters
before I discovered front wheel drive and now AWD.  My favourite story
involves my AH 3000 Mk 1 and a freezing, slushy night.  After parking the
Healey on the street for several hours in evening, I got into the car,
started it, put it into gear, released the clutch and the car made a lot of
noise but didnt move!  Immediate panic set in. What could it be? The rear
axle?  The prop shaft?  Something more sinister and expensive?  After
several more attempts to move, I opened the door to try understand why I
wasnt going anywhere to discover that my Big Healey (or more properly, the
Healeys low exhaust) had frozen to the road!  Thankfully, a few more
minutes of exhaust heat extricated me from this predicament.

Like Jim below, I also drove a Fiat 124 spider in our winters.  It had a
wonderful heater and I could always see through the windows and drive with
my gloves off; something I could never do in any of my LBCs.

After experiencing the wonders of AWD and heated seats, I couldnt imagine
driving my TR6 in the snow storm were getting today.

Brian Lanoway
Winterpeg, Manitoba, Canada
minus 20C last night and 4 inches of snow today

		On Dec 9, Jim Muller wrote:

		One of my minor *unintentional* winter-in-a-sports-car
episodes was this. Driving my Fiat 124 Spider on a cold, damp but non-snowy
night I coasted sedately to a stop at a stoplight.  Calmly the car's speed
hit zero, and within milliseconds calmly the car began sliding directly
sideways down the crown of the road.  No warning, no control, no nuthin' but
sideways movement until both right wheels bumped lightly against the curb.
If I'd wanted to be parking there it would have been worth bragging about.
Instead I was just grateful the only thing to hit was the curb.  I drove
away very gingerly.