[TR] Sloppy Fan Extension

Michael Lang mlang99 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 8 19:53:15 MST 2008

When I installed my TR3 fan extension on to the crank shaft snout, I
found that it was a little sloppy. Not a lot, but slightly perceptible
in the direction of the key-way. I coated it with Loctite 270 "stud and
bearing fit" and pulled it up tight with the mounting bolt. I have used
Loctite 270 a couple of times in the past on loose harmonic dampers with
good success, but they have been on things like SB Chevy's where the
damper doesn't stick out 8" from the end of the crank.

I am now second guessing what I have done. What's the opinion? Should I
pull it off and use something more like Loctite 660 "Quick Metal"
retaining compound?

I am afraid the forces caused by the fan on the end of the long
extension may be more than the Loctite 270 can handle.

Thanks,

Mike