[TR] 3A Fuel Pump (more)

DLylis at aol.com DLylis at aol.com
Sun Dec 7 16:38:15 MST 2008

I removed the diaphragm from my pump and was amazed at what I found.   If
anyone receives a rebuild kit with the red diaphragm, do not install  it.  First,
when I was having trouble with idle at initial startup I  checked my floats
(again) and when I opened the floats on the SUs I found a  reddish tint inside
the float bowls.  I sucked out all the gas with a bulb  and cleaned them up
and off I went.  Odd, says me.  For those who saw  my previous post, when the
pump started leaking, where the fuel ran left a trail  of red stain. When I
removed the diaphragm it was bleached out to a light  pink where it had been in
contact with the fuel and the rubber was badly  perished ( 300 - 400 miles).
If any suppliers are following this list, please remove these from  inventory.

I referred to a vent hole in the body of the pump from which fuel was
spewing when the diaphragm gave way.  I looked more closely into this and  this is
the deal.  That vent hole is at the lowest point in the pump body,  which is
below the level at which the diaphragm shaft enters the pump body  through a
rubber "seal".  The upshot here is that the fuel that bypasses  the diaphragm in
this type of failure collects at the lowest point and exits the  hole.  I
would not say that it does not go in the crankcase but the  hole and the "seal"
are certainly going to minimize the possibility. Since  I picked my failure up
almost immediately and the oil passed the sniff test, I  think I am good to go.

David  Lylis
69 TR6 CC26160L
60 TR3A TS74461LO
**************Stay in touch with ALL of your friends: update your AIM, Bebo,
Facebook, and MySpace pages with just one click. The NEW AOL.com.
(http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000012)