[TR] more torqueeness, security, etc.

Karl Vacek kvacek at ameritech.net
Thu Aug 28 14:18:27 MDT 2008

Well, I guess I'm just more allergic to Chinese tools.  I've had 2
replacements of each size in recent years, and I only used each one to twist
perhaps 3-4 pieces of .032 wire.  Both of my HF pliers are in good shape
now, as far as I can recall, because I haven't used them once since I bought
the actual American tool.

And maybe they once were better made than they have been in the past 3 years
or so since I bought them.  For 25+ years before I twisted every wire by
hand, and had never once used a wire twister.  Years ago you could buy nice
WWII surplus twisters for $20 or less, and I never bought any.  I finally
broke down and bought some, but nowadays there aren't too many decent
surplus ones available, so I tried one each (6" & 9") of the HF ones.

Glad you guys got good pairs from HF - I didn't.

Another thing that has nothing to do with the springiness of the handles is
the propensity of the cheap ones to nick and flatten the wire.  If the wire
is nicked or overstressed, that might be a future crack.

You don't necessarily get what you pay for, but you sure don't get more.....

When you're reaching into a dark and crowded engine compartment with oily
hands and want to grab wires that are between components, latch the pliers
with one hand, and twist wires upon which your life may rely, it's great to
have a good tool in your hand.  The twisters I have are a pleasure to use,
they work easily, they twist both ways, and when I snip off wires they hold
the cut ends rather than shooting them out and into God-knows-where.  It
cost me about an hour's fuel for the Stearman.  Having used them for a while
now, I'd even pay more.

Karl