[TR] Ignition switch tool

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Aug 27 11:41:56 MDT 2008

> Maybe a tool like this?
> <http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=36554>

Certainly not that one.  It's pins are round, and much too large.

In fact, I would say that any 'adjustable' tool is going to work poorly.  It
takes thin, rectangular blades to engage the ring, and they need to be at
both the correct distance and angle to fit securely.  If it slips, it will
mar the relatively soft (brass) ring.

I made my own tool out of a short length of small galvanized water pipe.
Drilled the opening larger so it would fit over the threaded portion of the
switch, then used a Dremel Moto tool to mostly cut the two rectangular teeth
into the edge, to engage the ring.  Final cutting was done with a
machinist's file, to ensure the sides of the teeth were inline, and the tips
square.

If I do it again, I'll use harder metal for the tool (like a cheap socket),
and add an outer sleeve to slide over the outside of the ring, to help
locate the tool in the slots.

However, you might be able to "make do" with the tips of a pair of needle
nose pliers, suitably ground/filed.  That's what I used for many, many
years.

Randall