[TR] Rusty Panel treatment

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Mon Aug 25 22:54:07 MDT 2008

     I have a friend and we made a derusting tank off of info we found on the net. It took a plastic tank full of baking soda solution. The tank was lined with steel mesh (an old bird cage ISTR). The part in question hangs in the tank by a steel wire, not touching the steel mesh. Then we hooked up a battery charger with one lead to the steel wire supporting the part and the other on the steel mesh. The part would bubble slowly and after a few hours the part comes out shiney clean and bright. It doesn't eat the metal away at all, unless you hook the leads up backwards. We experimented on old rusty horse shoes first. You can probably still find the info with a Google search.
     Here is a link: http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/rust/electrolytic_derusting.htm
     or
     http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tools/Electrolysis.htm

     Good luck.