[TR] torque tightening

MMoore8425 at aol.com MMoore8425 at aol.com
Mon Aug 25 14:46:33 MDT 2008

In a message dated 8/25/08 8:54:45 AM, dorpaul at bellsouth.net writes:

> List,
> I am double-checking the torque values on nuts on my front suspension.
Some
> nuts which originally had just been guessed at, and were originally set too
> high, are loosened and retorqued to the correct setting.  However, a couple
> that can't be reached are thought to be too high.  If that's the case,
> should
> I be concerned enuf to 'take something off so I can get to them?'
>
> Also, is a fresh nyloc nut that much better than a thick nut and
lockwasher?

> Thanks,
> Paul Dorsey  60 TR

Paul
I used to design miitary equipment which had to pass shck and vibration
testing. I quikly discvered that if a nut and lockwasher got the least bit
loose,
they would soon fall off. Not so with an elastic stop nut. Even if it somehow
got lose, the nut and bolt will not separate.

Best, Mike Moore