[TR] Nyloc Nut on Tie-Rod Ends

DANNY D FORGEY cofrog at q.com
Mon Aug 25 09:28:03 MDT 2008

The smart money uses a nyloc nut once and only once.  They loose effectiveness
when reused.

Dan> From: GHaynesTR4 at aol.com> Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:29:36 -0400> To:
triumphs at autox.team.net> Subject: [TR] Nyloc Nut on Tie-Rod Ends> > List,> I
had a frightening experience last nite: steering failure on my GT6. The >
Nyloc nut came off the left tie-rod end and the end popped out of its tapered
> hole in the steering arm - fortunately, it happened right in my garage! I >
replaced the (missing) Nyloc nut with a Grade 8 nut and lock washer, then >
double-checked the tightness of the Nyloc on the right side. The threads
stripped > right out! > Although the nut has the gold color of Grade 8
hardware, it has no markings > and is the height of a jam nut (about six
threads) plus the Nylon locking > feature. I have lost my confidence in Nyloc
nuts in such critical applications. > Sadly, just about all tie-rod ends seem
to use Nylocs instead of the > old-fashioned (and reliable) castellated nut
and cotter pin.> Let this be a "Heads Up" to anyone who is using Nylock nuts
in their tie-rod > ends. It might have happened on the road rather than in the
garage!> George Haynes> > > **************> It's only a deal if it's where you
want to go. > Find your travel deal here.> >
(http://information.travel.aol.com/deals?ncid=aoltrv00050000000047)>